Saturday

Young, Gifted Teachers


Yesterday, I was filming my TV show "Classroom Connection" at a local middle school. My show is meant to spotlight innovative techniques and strategies as well as the many programs in our county's schools. I have been having a great time filming the show...visiting schools and teachers is my favorite thing to do...but yesterday, was special.


Yesterday, I purposefully asked to visit the classroom of two young teacher phenoms. Boy, was I left wanting more...those two ladies wowed me with their wisdom, excited me with their enthusiasm and grabbed my attention the minute they began speaking. Instead of focusing on strategies yesterday, I focused on young teachers. Why they leave and how to support them.


I want to encourage veteran teachers to find a new teacher at your school or near-by. Take them by the hand and show them the ropes...or, like I did, learn a thing or two! Collaboration makes us all better and our students are the beneficiaries.


Thank you Megan and Sally...I hope you both know what an amazing gift you have. And, I only hope that after 11 years, I teach half as well as you both do.